3 Sept 2007

4. Is anyone thinking anything at all? I know I had, something to say, it lost a meaning and it faded away...

Right ... as nerdy as it felt I decided to tape the "100 greatest music videos", that was on e4 the other night, as I thought it would be an excellent research tool as it had in-depth coverage of a good few "legendary" and "acclaimed" videos. I say this because there were a few videos in there SOOO over hyped (Hit me baby one more time, 21 seconds, In da club...). And by the way as its channel four it’s definitive so shhhhh!

Anyways as I'm not fully awake this morning I thought this would be the opportune moment to watch and be inspired ... because creativity flows better when my mind is still ... floppy ... for a better word.

I thought James' Strokes idea was rather good ... however ... it does sound very difficult to pull off. Again however that will just make for a better video ... SO ... I think it will better if we only had like varied amounts of it. I.e. not the whole video just one shot as that a bit too Thom Yorkie :P.

So I was thinking why don't do the video as one long POV with out the audience knowing it. We can speed up the boring bits ... to show a whole day (or roundish) ... and slow down the talking bits.

I was thinking this affect of slowing down while talking reminded me off how it felt when someone’s talking to you when you’re hung over.

And also ... James will hate me for this ... I think we need to make the video a bit more British as this will cost less and be pratical.

So me basic idea was:

Fade up from black, opening shot of a closed eyelid fade in and out of focus. It opens slowly but then frantically because of the fact that a dog is licking the owners face. (Stick sum jam on there or summing and then mute the filming process and encourage Brandy to lick the jam or choc). Then eventually the guy gets up and the camera follows him and has very sleepy, messed up look ... basically hung over with no idea why has in the middle of the street.

Up to this point the film will have been in black and white but as the camera follows him into like starbucks or that greasy spoon we like. The colour starts to gradualy fade back in while their eating breakfast he starts talking to the camera using the effect. Obviously not while eating. Or at least some effect to show that the character was feeling better.

Then we change location to a living room where their watching daytime TV (woop woop Jeremy Kyle or Richard & Judy) and he starts talking again all slowed down.

And then finally hes get to a pub and start talking again after a few drinks and the talking is slowed down anymore.

And then by the end of the film the guy goes to bed in a double bed and just before he goes to sleep. The camera pans away from the character to a shot of a mirror with a sticky yellow bit of paper on saying the audience "CALL LOCKSMITH" ... or something of that nature or you could have a shot earlier of a fridge with it written on ... and in the mirror the audience can see that the camera was actually a POV shot of another guy handcuffed to the main character as a bachelor evening prank...

Sorta reminiscent of:


This idea seems a little easier then controlling the weather ... and the business man one would require a very good camera and a lot of skill to pull off that shot.

But I think this could work. Lots of locations ... clever effect idea ... some nice framework ... bit of humour in the end.

Just what song?

No comments: